Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

As I am sure most of you know already, Robert Galbraith, author of The Cuckoo's Calling, is really J.K. Rowling. And it is for this fact that I hesitated in reading the book.

Prior to Rowling being outed as the author, the book had great reviews. The crime novel certainly fell into my realm of interest, but I was absolutely, completely and totally disappointed in Rowling's last book, The Casual Vacancy.  I didn't finish the book, which is incredibly rare for me.  I just could not get into the story even though I tried and tried....and I could not get over the use of the "f" word.  I certainly am not against bad language in literature, but every other word for pages and pages....not so much my cup of tea.

But I bought this new novel.  And I started it.  And I took The Cuckoo's Calling with me on my first kid-free two day adventure with the husband since my daughter was born and I finished it. 

Untitled

Very good.  And thankyou J.K. Rowling for not disappointing!

I quite enjoyed the mystery, but I really loved the main character, Detective Cormoran Stike.  He's funny, smart, sad, and very real and he is why I will be reading the sequel, The Silkworm.

As far as crime novel's go, it was pretty classically done.  Pretty complicated web to unravel, clues left behind, and danger.  All elements of a good, old fashioned mystery.  But it was the well written character of Strike that made it so much more successful.  I was rooting for him throughout the book, he made me laugh, and I am looking forward to meeting him again. 

Well done.

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment